Anonymous

racism and nursing?

I'm asked to do a essay on this topic. I, confused as i had no idea there was some "issue" here.  Does society assume there's racism towards minorities who want to be nurses or does society assume there are nurses who are racist towards minorities, which is the issue cause i had no idea this was an issue that exists.

I feel that most of these comments are not coming from British people.  I hope that I am correct on that because our hospitals seem to have more non-British nurses and doctors than we have white ones. What would we do without them.  I am grateful for every single one of them who has helped me with my health issues over the last 30 or so years.  

If racism were to drive away many non-white people we'd soon regret it and be having problems finding staff in many walks of life.  

• Ann

I don't have any current data on this matter, but I remember that when I was a child, black patients were relegated to the basement of the local hospital, and nurses were very lax in answering call buttons and they were dismissive of those patients to the point of ignoring pleas for help. It always made me cringe when I would walk by those rooms when my family walked  out of the building to the parking lot.  The black patients' family members seemed to the the ones tending to the sick ones rather than the nurses.  I do know that in today's medical facilities, there are many nurses (and physicians) from various parts of the world, and very few of them are Caucasian.  I have been treated by nurses from Nigeria and India, and they seemed to be recognized and respected by their fellow personnel.  They certainly appeared to be knowledgeable and caring of their patients.  I was personally very comfortable with them. 

Both. If a Minority decides to become a nurse, there are probably not enough people of their culture in that area of expertise. If the main bunch is white (for example) and you are the only Black person, there is bound to be some racism there because they'll see you as an outlier. Also, due to stereotypes, if a minority was in a hospital and dealing with nurses and doctors, the doctor/nurse may not believe the pain or issues they're having and chuck it up to them just wanting meds. 

In Quebec, a native women died in hospital recently.  Before she went, she videoed her treatment on her phone, and the nurses there were extremely racist, and the treatment (or, lack of it) ultimately resulted in her death.  It made huge news in Canada a month, or so ago.  Many natives here in particular report racist treatment in hospitals.

It's nonsense. It's just brainwashing with propaganda so your teacher's manipulators can take political advantage of people's docility.

There is both racism towards minorities who want to be nurses, and there is racism from nurses towards their minority peers. 

I think you'll find they're interested in you discussing the racism that non-white nurses experience.