I’ve never worked a day in my life. I’m 55 and feel as though I’ve never amounted to much. ?

I got married young at 20. I had my first child a week after I graduated from college when I was 22. I went on to have 6 beautiful children in total. I've always been a stay at home mom. I was always running my kids here, there, and everywhere. I secretly have always longed for a career. I never worked a day in my life. I never worked in high school and had a small job on campus while in college that was it. My husband makes very good money so I guess in a lot of ways I'm blessed and fortunate. All of my kids are now grown adults. Only 2 of my kids still live “at home” both are in college so they are home during the winter and summer. So, it’s me alone in this house. I got my degree in accounting. I had always wanted to go and get my CPA license but life had different plans for me I guess. I’m starting to feel like I have less of a “purpose” now that my kids are grown up. I think at 55 I’m a bit too old to be looking for my first job. I’m starting to feel resentment about my life. I realize many would call me “blessed” and in 10 years this won’t matter but I can’t help but feel like I’m not exactly “helping” society by sitting on my butt all day binge watching tv shows. It’s depressing. 

Raising six children contributes more to society than most employed adults do.

Lots of places hire tax preparers at this time of year to work until mid-April and don't require experience.  Since you have an accounting degree, you're more qualified than most of their workers, so you could get one of those jobs for a few months each year.

Or do something like Uber, Lyft, which basically just require you to have a car and a clean license.

Well first you have certainly been busy raising your kids!  That was a priority for you years ago, but now with them being older, things are different.  You already have the degree so yes, you should get your CPA license. Accounting jobs are always in demand and it won't matter that you're just getting started in the workforce.  Your skills will get you hired somewhere, and you might even be able to work for yourself!  In no way is 55 too old to do anything!

• Eva

There are tons of volunteer opportunities out there if you look. Red Cross, food banks, homeless shelters, etc. Call your local United Way or other assistance agency in your area for a list.  Many schools have "grandma" programs where people come in to read to the kids or help them with their work. During Covid you may want to be selective in where you volunteer, but there are opportunities out there.