Is it sad that the only language I know is English ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Only if that's the way you feel.  I've never learned French and couldn't care less.  I speak other languages.

• 4 weeks ago

Lots of people know only one language. It's "sad" only if you've had the opportunity to learn another language but turned it down for a foolish reason.

• 4 weeks ago

It's not sad. As a person who speaks one language besides USA English quite well and another not so well, knowing the additional languages has not moved my life from depressing to exhilaration. About all it has done is enable me to speak with a person now and then who knows those other languages and read instructions, etc. in the other languages. There are millions of people who know only their native language who are more financially successful and charismatic than I am.

• 4 weeks ago

Offhand I could think of about a billion things that are sadder.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes it is. Monolinguals are more susceptible to alzheimer's and newspeak-games. Their thinking is more limited.

It's not a coincidence that countries like Singapore (4 languages), Switzerland (4 languages) and Luxemburg (3 languages) are so successful

Source(s): Dutch, speaking English, German, FRench and Esperanto
  • 4 weeks ago

One language is better than none!

• 4 weeks ago

Not at all sad. Most people can speak only one language; I would add that speak a second language is not at all an obligation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 4 weeks ago

No not sad, clearly you haven't had the need to speak other languages.  I speak Spanish and German because I've lived in countries that speak them.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

🥴😊

No.

Best language in the world. 

😒 Just because it was my 1st and I know it better than most. 🥴😊

• OTTO
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes it is. How can you ever succeed in life if all you know how to speak is English?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.