Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Is this wedding invitation just a gift grab or kissing up?

In my job (lawyer), I try to help people by giving them guidance and introducing people in my network to them.  One person who helps me and who I’ve helped (at least I hope) runs a small business. I’ve never charged him a cent and would never charge him a cent.  I’ve only met him in person a few times, but I like him.

He sent me a wedding invitation, for him and his terrific bride.  I know her professionally and like her.

However, we’re just “work friends” and I have never done anything socially with him, although I would.  Plus the wedding is halfway across the country, and is this spring, before I would have gotten a vaccine for COVID-19.

This is really nice of him- but I’m not sure why I was invited. How do I make it clear that I appreciate the invitation and really like him and his bride but cannot go: send a nice and generous gift and a grateful handwritten note of appreciation?

Or is this just a gift grab or something?

Thanks.

• Kelly
    Favorite Answer

As you should know an invitation is a notice to notify you that you're welcome to attend, if you choose.  It's not a summons to appear.

It's not unusual to invite business associates to a wedding.  My husband is a Physician and we get wedding invites left and right because he has a really good personality and is everyone's BFF.  Many we send regrets, some we attend.  Either way we send a card and some a gift depending on who it is.  It's not uncommon for him to actually get wedding invites from his patients that are sent to his office and he sends a card to them but we don't attend any of them.  

• Trish

He obviously included some of his professional associates.  I wouldn't overthink it if I were you just send a card congratulating them saying sorry you can't make it and include a gift card if you feel like you have to send a gift.

• Raja

The wedding invitation is from a party known to you .It is customary  to send such invitations .Under the present circumstances with covid spreading every where it is not advisable to undertake long distance travel . Your idea of sending him a nice and generous gift and a grateful hand written note of appreciation is the best . If you feel there is a hidden meaning behind he invitation just ignore it .You have always offered him a free service .

you still have a great excuse, PANDEMIC.

he probably is just selfish and wants to fill out a lot of space to make him seem more popular. 

Only those people know why they invited you.  MANY people invite work colleagues to their weddings. If you don't feel comfortable attending, you don't need to attend. A wedding invitation isn't a legal summons. If you don't want to go, send your regrets. If you want to go, RSVP and go. This isn't complicated. 

A gift is NOT required. Whether or not you attend, you are free to give a gift or not as you please.

It's never wrong to send a gift, but under similar circumstances, I rarely do.  My husband is a physician and we get somewhat surprising invites fairly frequently.  I send a congratulatory card and also, if the invite has an rsvp card, I make sure to return that. 

Perhaps it's just reaching out to someone he may consider a friend, as you've both worked together without money changing hands.

Irrelevant of why - you don't have to attend, and you don't have to buy a gift. You can decline, and send a nice card/note. If you also want to send a gift, that's also lovely.

• drip

You send the RSVP back with no.

You send a nice wedding card, write congratulations on it and sign your name. 

Not that hard.

You're a lawyer and you're asking our advice on how to word a reply?

I'm a lawyer too, and work it out yourself lol.

I dont think its a grab. I consider it an honor