Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Awful anxiety at work. Feel like I’m going to cry?

My husband is a truck driver so he’s gone a lot. 3 months ago we found out my company is closing permanently on February 19th. My husband has been offered a job transfer out in Dallas (20 hours) from any family or friends. We currently live in Myrtle Beach SC. The market here is not good I was fortunate to have that job that I did for the past 7 years and we are both concerned I won’t be able to find sustainable employment that pays a living wage. The average pay here is 10-11 per hour. We’ve both agreed to move. At first, I was really excited but now I’m starting to doubt our decision. I’ve had such sever anxiety at work I feel like I want to cry. I’m nauseous, stressed, depressed. I know I need to finish out the next few weeks at work. I can’t help but question our decision. What if we move and I can’t find work?? 

• KTJoe

Okay to feel anxious, stressed out, moving is a big deal. But know you're not alone making this move, and you have a mountain of job skills which are transferable. Think customer service, organization, time management, computer skills and more. Feel confident also research new area, housing, shopping, near by whatever. Get hyped, feel excited. 

• P

As long as you are able bodied and can show up for work ontime you will find countless jobs in the Dallas area for more than $11.   No worries.   Myrtle Beach SC has too many jobs based on seasonal tourism, and is not a good place to be right now.

You should have started your job search in your new area as soon as you found out that you were moving there. No wonder you're stressed out. Moving is hard enough without worrying about where your next meal is going to come from in your new home. Ask your friends for leads for jobs in your new place. Go online and register with job search sites like Indeed, Jobcase, etc. Check the classified and want ads in the local papers (you can go online to their websites as well) in  your new area for leads and job openings.

Above all, you need to treat job hunting AS  YOUR JOB. Because right now, that's exactly what it IS. It takes WORK to find a new job. You can't just sit on your butt, wring your hands, and hope that work will find you, because it WON'T. Life doesn't work that way. And in the meantime, you need to find ways to cut your personal expenses down to a bare minimum.

On the plus side, the Texas economy is in good shape. You should have relatively little trouble finding work, depending on what field you're in.

• Foofa

The average pay in the DFW area is almost $15 an hour and there's absolutely no way you're doing better in a small city of 33K people than you could do in a sprawling metro region of over seven million. Dallas Fort Worth is one of the fastest growing places in the nation. IMHO you're just getting emotional about leaving friends and family and haven't really invested into looking at the greater options you'll most definitely have in Texas (which is also the fastest growing state).

Start by hunting for a new job, wither at your current home or elsewhere.  Don't limit yourself to Dallas, which is a hellhole.  See if you can find a better job either where you are, or closer to your families.  And not in Texas, which should be avoided at all costs. You're the one who will have to live there while he's on the road. 

I can understand you're worried because of the uncertainty of it all. You said you both agreed to move, but you didn't mention whether your husband has already accepted the new job. I think you should both talk it through, and you should be totally honest with him about your fears. However long he has to decide whether to accept the job, you should think about this. Maybe you could scope out jobs in Dallas before you both commit? I guess worst case is he accepts and you could stay behind till you find the right job there, at least you have family and friends to support you, but then you're not any better off in your hometown in terms of employment. Don't really know what else to say but I think you should talk things through. I'm sure things will fall into place in time.

• Raja

Currently you are jobless .Your husband has found a new job  and both agreed to move . Search for job opportunities in the present place where you live and also where your husband is working . Accept the first opportunity .If it is in the present place better stay where you are .Let your husband to visit you at convenient intervals .If you were fortunate enough to get employment in where your husband is employed move on to that place . Avoid worrying about the situation .This is not the end of the world . 

Like someone else said, I suggest searching for opportunities now. If possible, maybe learn something new, go back to school to train for a different career and maybe you’d find something else you could do. Life doesn’t limit you to one option, taking a risk is a part of life and if you truly are doubting your decision, make a pros and cons list. If work is your only concern, you’ll be fine since you do have the work experience. Take the chance, you never know until you do it

You'll be fine, life is too short to worry yourself to death.

• boj

Start your job search and apply before you move, that will increase your changes a bit. Youre freaking out over nothing since you'll be out of work even if you stay. Learn to think positively so positive things will be attracted to you.