Is the landlord responsible for messy tenants?

If I were to move into a property as a sole tenant contracted to just one room, what are my rights if another tenant who moved in prior to me makes such a mess that the shared rooms become unliveable. And I mean having to clean every single time I use the bathroom the kitchen etc because no matter how good I clean a few hours later there is more mess. Here attached are pictures of the bathroom in the condition they leave it in. We have 2 bathrooms between the house and one we gave solely to that tenant as we can’t share that bathroom it is too dirty. However recently that tenant has started using the other bathroom which means it constantly been occupied and again having to clean every single time we use the facilities. I brought it up to my landlord and it’s ignored. In my opinion we were advertised and contracted 2 bathrooms yet one is in such a bad condition it is completely unusable therefore we aren’t being offered what is in our contract. And surely as a sole tenant we aren’t expected to clean up after the other tenant. It won’t let me add more photos but just imagine urine stains all over the seat and floor with hairs stuck to it and a sink filled up with water and dead cockroaches floating in it

Your landlord is not going to come in and clean for you.  You are expected to all do your share.  Peer group pressure is very effective.  Discuss the issue.  When I was a sharer, we each put money in a kitty to jointly employ a cleaner once a week.  That is a great way to spread the load of keeping common areas clean. 

If you cannot agree to that, ask your landlord if he would allow you to temporarily replace the doorknob on the bathroom you want to keep clean with a keyed lock at your expense.  They are very cheap.  Then Slob would be forced to use the unlocked one.  Tell him the truth; that his behaviour is unacceptable.  Sit him down and do it together.

I would throw all the other tenants things in a pile in front of his door. 

An alternative is to toss out anything left out 'as garbage' when you clean, letting them know it's going to happen. This means clothes left in the communal area, toothbrushes,  etc.

The landlord is not your mommy or your maid.  The landlord should be told but unless it is causing property damage, pest control problems, mold or something else they are required to address then they really do not get involved. You & roommates are all presubably over 18 & expected to be adults and as such are responsible for your own actions. 

You rent the room you live in, that is all.  

• Maxi

The landlord should be infomed however it is not the landlords responsibility of how tenants live and the landlord should already know anyway if they are decent landlords and inspect their property reguarly......... in a shared/multi rental, it the 100% the responsibility of each tenant to clean up after themselves and together the tenants really need a signed agreement about this

Take photos, write detailed reports, and send them to the landlord.