Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Someone gifted me something used but lied about it being used...?

A friend of mine gifted my son a jacket for his birthday. She kept telling me she ordered it online weeks ago and throwing it out there that she ordered it implying its from a store, brand new. After the party i checked the jacket closely and found it to be very old and used, but you need to be very detail oriented to notice. Why the lying... i dont care about the jacket but what bothers me is the lying and saying oh i ordered a gift for your son. Its insulting she thinks I can not tell the difference. This jacket was most likely a hand me down from 1 of her friends giving her their kids old clothes that they outgrew (which is fine to do ! ) but why the lying. It makes me have trust issues when people lie.

Guys its actually my sister in law not a friend.... so shes my kids aunt.

I cant edit the question...didnt wanna write sis in law at first but since 1 comment was rude and not helpful. Maybe this makes it clearer.

I was very thankful..the question is what is the psychology for a person to lie and say i bought you something new, when its not.... i showed her i was very grateful. And no, she knows me to be very gracious. If anything, she is the 1 who notices these things !!! She is always talking to me about this kind of stuff and mocking others who save "gifts" to re gift to others. Sorry maybe i should have written this all ...it wasnt as clear as i thought. :) too much negative comments.

• Ashley
    Favorite Answer

Well maybe your friend can’t afford something new and she’s embarrassed to say so? 

• Blush
    6 days ago

You should ask her where she ordered it from bc one of his friends wants one too! 

Ya know, so you can see what she says...for the case...bc you’re a detective now

• Trish

You could be wrong.  

• ?

I'm certain that if she knew you had discovered her lie, she would be incredibly embarassed. I'm sure she thought she could get away with it and none would be the wiser.  So. Now you know that she's willing to do this, just beware that when and if you receive any other "new gifts" from her, chances are you will be donating it to a thrift shop where it probably belongs.

And keep the peace, keep your mouth shut. 

so what?? talk to HER about it...

• ?

It's just a jacket and if your son can wear it - let him wear it.  Chose your battles....this is NOT a reason for a battle.........it's just a jacket.

• a

The OP is assuming that people never use things and scam merchants by sending them back for a refund. I've gotten mail-order things that were clearly used.

Unfortunate, but what exactly is your question? I mean, what are you asking us? The reason I'm making this inquiry is because it's totally asinine to ask strangers to tell YOU why YOUR sister-in-law did something, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you have a real question in mind. Do you?

• jehen

Really?  Lets presume for a moment everything you say is true.  Since if you have to be 'very detailed oriented' to notice the jacket is not new, then obviously it is a perfectly serviceable gift.  And it's not your gift, but your son's.  The only one who gets to look this gift horse in the mouth is your son.  If he is happy, you have nothing to say and no problem to solve.  And even if he is unhappy with the jacket, it's a gift and it means both you and he need a lesson in graciousness.  As for your 'lying' friend, I am betting the 'lie' is because they know you all too well and didn't want the grief of your judgement at the quality of the gift or how it was procured.  

“Why did my friend lie to me”? Is that really what you are asking??

Ask a question or bore off!!