Was this dog trying to attack me? Do these dogs still not trust me?

I’ve been feeding some stray dogs for months. Except for occasional tail wags(usually around meal time 😄) they don’t let me pet them and don’t show much familiarity. I can understand they have trust issues having been distant from humans most of the time.

Yesterday I picked up the friendliest one’s pup in my arms and the mother dog seemed ok till the pup started shouting. She and another female dog started barking at me. Strangely the other female dog(not the usually friendlier mother dog) pulled at my tunic, it’s now torn. I left the puppy and the place and returned minutes later. All the dogs were wagging their tails at me, which I didn’t understand - were they trying to be reconciliatory to me as a good source? Did the dog attack me or try to get my attention?

Sorry if I’m reading too much into the situation, just wondering if these dogs are so aloof from humans? 

P.S: I’ve been vaccinated for rabies.

Sorry- I meant reconciliatory towards me since I am a food source.

Mama dog was concerned about the pup when it started crying.  Mama dogs are protective of their pups.  No it was not attacking you, it just wanted you to put the puppy down.

Stop feeding them for one. Feeding strays or feral dogs does nothing to really help them and makes them pests. And never try to touch them, when they bite you they will have to be put down to be tested for rabies and you will have to get the panful rabies shots 

Call AC or a rescue to come get the dogs

• ?

welllllll, feral dogs are street survivors and have probably suffered a good deal of abuse from humans.   Feeding them is always welcomed by then, of course.......but they have to keep their guard up to make sure it's not a trick. 

My mother adopted a dog from a shelter that was abused as a puppy......and we had the dog for like 17 years......and it was still skittish if you moved too fast or came up behind it.   We treated her  like gold for years,  and it still couldn't shake that basic fear in her.....that someone was about to hurt her. 

She eventually let us pet her.......but only a little bit, and then that was enough.  She would get nervous that the other shoe was about to drop and then go hide. 

• Mrs H

I'm not sure. I'm thinking it seems more like trying to warn you. Be very careful. I wouldn't touch the puppies just to be on the safe side 

dogs are dangerous.

feed it chocolate to calm them down. They will surely settle.

You said it! You’re a food source to em. Cut the food supply and they’ll eat you alive! 

May I recommend for you feeding stray cats. They’re much friendlier than dogs! They’re so many of em needing some love and petting.

God thats why I hate dogs.  two years ago, a dog attacked my cat and tore open my cats back, my brother gasped, took a baseball bat, chased the dog and bashed it's head till it died.

My cat is still alive today, he was just seriously injured and almost died. I'm just glad he's ok. But ever since then, my cat has been chasing dogs when they bark at him