Part behind engine?

This is a Skoda Octavia II. I noticed a burnt smell. When I opened the hood, the oval part int he picture is very hot (a drop of water evaporates immediately). What is this part and what are possible solutions? Thank you!

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Neil
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The only part I can see in that picture that could be described as "oval" is a heat-shield over the exhaust manifold (and possibly the turbocharger if it has one). If you don't want that to get hot, don't start the engine. It is designed to get hot.

The burning smell is coming from somewhere else. Possibly some dust in the heater system, that is overheating because the intake vents for the heater (left-middle of your picture) are blocked by snow.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The "oval part"?? 

I don't see anything ovaloid. 

Why don't you point to it? 

If your unknown part is related to the exhaust system, it will be MUCH hotter than 212° F or 100° C (the boiling point of water).

• 1 month ago

If we are looking at the same part, it is the exhaust and does get very hot when the engine is running.   No hose or wire should fall on it.  It may or may not be the source of the smell. 

Up above is a grill with snow on it.  That snow should be cleared away so that air can circulate inside to your heater.

• 1 month ago

Not a clear image but it looks very much like the first catalytic converter. 

They are supposed to get very hot when used as that’s part of how they work.

You shouldn’t get a hot smell though as that suggests something is burning or overheating. It may be that there’s an oil leak onto the converter or that a vital protective heat-shield has fallen off (typically due to corrosion). Or perhaps part of the wiring loom has got too close to the cat or the exhaust manifold (US = exhaust header).

If you cannot identify the cause get a workshop to investigate as it’s certainly not safe to ignore it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The photo doesn't give any perspective. Get yourself a repair manual. Burt smells come from burned things. Determine what it is that's burning so you can trace how it's getting burned. Can you tell the difference between steam and oil smoke? Slipping clutches also give off a burned smell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.