Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Hot water heater with a slow leak?

Coming from the front and its rust colored.  Does this mean its dying?  Should I drain & refill it?  Can I get a few more years out of it?

Im guessing its 10 year old. Plain electric low end.

I tried to take off the cover as the top one is where its dripping from. Simple screwdriver, turned it for about 90 seconds and it did not want to come off.

Water heaters do typically need to be replaced every 10 years. They are not designed or manufactured to last, so you DO replace them. A kind of guarantee to keep the water heater manufacturers in business.

My plumber who just installed a new water heater, told me to drain the water heater every spring to allow sediments out that have gathered in the tank.

Your water heater is "telling"you that it is time for a replacement. LISTEN before you have to sop up 40 to 80 gallons of water off of your floor. Really.

Replace it.   The fact water is coming out means the tank is leaking.   It is only a matter of a few weeks or months before the tank ruptures and you have water all over the place. 

Once your water heater begins leaking, it's time to replace it. You really can't "fix" them. And you should NEVER attempt to take them apart. Draining and refilling will only make this problem worse. 

• drip

Replace it ASAP.   As in call the repair guy now.  Or it is going to brust and you will have water everywhere! 

Yes !  It must be replaced ASAP. Also  after you have drained and discarded the old one , take the time to inspect your water heater bench.  Inspect the framing, usually the plywood has rotted out. Replace  plywood if necessary you can buy a 2 ft x 4 ft piece of 3/4 inch at HD . Remember to drain your new  hot water heater once a year to maximize its life span. 

I, too, would suggest you simply replace it. They don't last forever and yours is rusting out.  It's done good service, 10 years is a decent length of life for those things.

• Moya

Replace it straight  away

• garry

yes 10 years is a good electric heater lasts , not much longer , time for a new one , an read the care instructions about pulling the safety every 12 months .that way you are flushing the rust away , rust in water mean the thing has had it .

It means it is DEAD. The only question is HOW SOON it will burst. You could easily wake up tomorrow to find a flood.

Replace it before it becomes a gusher.