i have  2014 ram 1500 with a 5.7 V8?

on my dashboard the instrument panel shows my gas cap and my service engine light is on,  the truck runs fine but my mechanic cant seem to be able  to turn off the light that say check gas cap,  does any one know how to fix this 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I never saw a gas cap warning light before, but with a machine that has a safety warning system, there are 2 initial things to be concerned with. 

1.  The actual device being monitored.  Is it sealing properly?  Maybe a seal has cracked?  Maybe it isn't closing properly. 

2.  Has the safety system had a malfunction?  There is likely a pressure sensor involved.  Maybe it has failed.  Maybe a rubber hose connecting the sensor to the system has failed. 

These are the 2 areas that you need to research and investigate first. 

Your mechanic doesn't sound very experienced. 

You don't turn the light off. 

You find and repair the problem. 

The light simply means that the engine computer has found an out-of-range condition, and stored a fault code in the computer's memory for you to read.  So read the fault code. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah. Buy a Ford.

Replace the cap.

• 1 month ago

There will be a code stored in the PCM that your "mechanic" should have diagnosed. Sounds like you have a high school dropout lube boy...not a mechanic. A bad vent valve on the charcoal canister or a cracked canister can also make the gas cap warning come on. Did you try a new gas cap yet?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 1 month ago

Replace the gas cap

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Loosen the gas cap and close it again.  Make sure you hear two or three clicks.  Clear the codes with a scanner.  If the light comes back again, check the trouble codes with a scanner.  There is likely an EVAP problem in your truck.

• 1 month ago

Should be easy enough to turn the light off.  But it might come back on right away.   

Sometimes this just shows up, a fluke.   

Sometimes it is that  you filled up without shutting the engine off.  

Sometimes the cap is loose and needs to be tightened until it clicks.Sometimes their is a leak in the systemSometimes the pump that pressurizes the tank is bad.

The truck will probably run fine except for the pollution level in your exhaust and that might not even be bad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.