Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Why does my owners manual say that my hybrid vehicle may not start in 22 degrees or less weather?

What's the issue with that? 

Thanks

Update:

@Anonymous the manufacturer has no idea, and the owner's manual doesn't go into detail.. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Like other batteries, lithium ion batteries have a hard time in very cold temperatures because the chemical reaction that releases electricity slows way down. There just isn't going to be enough oomph.

It is also a Very Bad Idea to charge them below freezing, because the charging process doesn't work right at that temperature and can cause damage.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Because it's an electric car.............it has a battery and most batteries do NOT like really cold weather.

• 1 month ago

According to a collective bargaining agreement, the hybrid manufacturing officials claim that at 22 degrees, conditions are too cold for the loyal members of the International Brotherhood of Hamsters on a Treadmill to safely operate. You can still push your little car around if you 'd like though?

• 1 month ago

There is a safety measure you cannot defeat. The book tells you not to do it, so that means to not do it, hard head.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You bought a piece of ****.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Please post a picture where that is stated in the manual.  You probably meant -22 degrees.  There is a BIG difference if there is a minus sign in front of the 22.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I believe that batteries do not give their maximum cold cranking amps in certain conditions. I would suspect that's it's kind of a low to mid-price hybrid vehicle because I think on higher end vehicles they could just heat the battery and the electric motors.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Contact the garage, not ask silly questions here. How should we know?

• 1 month ago

I'm going to guess that means the battery freezes up

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no idea .. guessing, the orifices that control fuel flow may constrict too far to allow proper operation ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.