Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Why does my owners manual say that my hybrid vehicle may not start in 22 degrees or less weather?

What's the issue with that? 

Thanks

@Anonymous the manufacturer has no idea, and the owner's manual doesn't go into detail.. 

Favorite Answer

Like other batteries, lithium ion batteries have a hard time in very cold temperatures because the chemical reaction that releases electricity slows way down. There just isn't going to be enough oomph.

It is also a Very Bad Idea to charge them below freezing, because the charging process doesn't work right at that temperature and can cause damage.

• ?

Because it's an electric car.............it has a battery and most batteries do NOT like really cold weather.

According to a collective bargaining agreement, the hybrid manufacturing officials claim that at 22 degrees, conditions are too cold for the loyal members of the International Brotherhood of Hamsters on a Treadmill to safely operate. You can still push your little car around if you 'd like though?

There is a safety measure you cannot defeat. The book tells you not to do it, so that means to not do it, hard head.

You bought a piece of ****.

Please post a picture where that is stated in the manual.  You probably meant -22 degrees.  There is a BIG difference if there is a minus sign in front of the 22.

I believe that batteries do not give their maximum cold cranking amps in certain conditions. I would suspect that's it's kind of a low to mid-price hybrid vehicle because I think on higher end vehicles they could just heat the battery and the electric motors.

Contact the garage, not ask silly questions here. How should we know?

I'm going to guess that means the battery freezes up

• Dze

no idea .. guessing, the orifices that control fuel flow may constrict too far to allow proper operation ..