Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do I convince my dad to quit hitting his dog?

My dad swears up, and down that hitting animals works, and that hes spanked all his animals, when he was training them, and they turned out to be really well behaved. How do I convince him to use positive reinforcement?

Just tell him that he is a weak human being who nobdy resepcts.

You cannot convince a cruel man to be a good man.  He is cruel down to his soul.  He is stupid & ignorant & won't change his ways, he thinks he knows it all.

Hitting a dog just causes fear in the dog, it does not correct a bad behavior.  Have you ever seen a dog hit another dog?  No, because dogs do not understand hitting.  It is called dog abuse.  Hitting & yelling does no good.

I have often found that if a dad hits upon the dog, he hits upon his family too.  Are you safe?  Does he take things out on family members too.

You can only advise I'd suggest but if this is really serious, REPORT HIM which you can do without giving your name.    He might listen to the authorities because what happened in the past, is now illegal in most places.

Haul off and hit him, see how HE likes it.

Um. Maybe not.

I do not know that you can convince your Dad of anything along those lines, but you can point out it used to be OKAY for parents to hit or spank kids & for kids to be paddled in schools - but it is NOT okay (NOW) to HIT a child (and there are LAWS to that effect) so times and methods of correction and instruction or "training" DO change. (This is not only true for children but for pets, as well) and he ought to make an effort to update his thinking, rather than remaining uninformed and unenlightened.  

The top obedience dogs IN THE WORLD are all trained with positive methods because a fearful or hand-shy dog (who has been hit) will never give as sparkling a performance in the ring - as those who have not. Smart dog trainers KNOW THIS and have long since evolved in their methods of training. 

(You can easily pull up some videos from the AKC National Obedience Championship, or from Crufts to show him. And people who train sea animals or birds (for example) certainly CANNOT hit them, yet they CAN be trained.  Guess he refuses to "imagine" how that might happen.

You probably don't and can't, BUT ONCE AGAIN, if he is abusing animals it is your DUTY to report the abuse to the local authorities.

why?

its just a dog.