jean asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

should i feed my new dog home made food with all natural ingredients meat, rice,veges etc or canned dog food and biscuits?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

First you should research about the best food suited for your dog's breed, after which know about what should be a balanced diet for your dog. If you are able to provide that at home then go ahead, if not purchase canned food, they are also edible. 

• 1 month ago

dry dog food is nutritionally balanced so is probably best. Raw meat diet would be better but you have to ensure your dog is getting att the nutrients and minerals and that the calcium to phosphurus ratio is correct.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Smart dog owners ask their VETERINARIAN for advice.  Foolish dog owners ask strangers on the internet.

• 1 month ago

Neither one.  Find a good quality dog food formulated just for a dogs special needs.  Don't complicate things, go with symplicity & common sense.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would do neither of those things.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Educate yourself and research properly before you decide on anything.....what do you KNOW about what your dog NEEDS? They certainly don't need rice, it has zero nutrition and is only a bland cheap filler

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Whatever you want to do, and what suits you best......

Dogs thrive on all sorts of diets and do NOT need any special catering for. 

If your dog is adult, keep him on what food he is used to eating and change it gradually to avoid digestive upsets. 

A dogs main diet is meat, so any diet rich in meat is fine. 

Canned meat is meant to be mixed with some sort of biscuit meal /kibble to provide fibre and carbohydrates.

• 1 month ago

Unless you are a qualified animal dietrician, no.    It's up to you but dog food companies spend a lot of time and money producing a BALANCED diet for dogs, which for the most part, works.    On the other hand, I'd suggest very few people don't have that ability.

But I'd not rely totally on canned dog food either - with or without biscuits.   Canned food is 80% moisture which is by no means 'complete'.    In our house, wherever in the world we lived, biscuits were only seen as treats.

• 1 month ago

It depends on whether you know how to mix and formulate a balanced diet (key word = BALANCED - including the correct calcium & phosphorus) by making your own food, or not.  Home-made, and preferably RAW diets (of meat & bones) are the closest thing to natural food, for dogs.   Raw also means less allergies & more of the nutrition retained, vs being cooked OUT. 

Canned is NEVER recommended as a sole source of food (only a flavoring) if you are feeding a low quality kibble (versus high quality one with meat as its first ingredient or TWO, in the top 5.  Biscuits (are seen as strictly treats) - in my country, not a nutritional food source.

• 1 month ago

You should feed your dog a raw meat-based diet.  That's a dog's natural diet.  You can search online for how to implement such a diet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.