Maya asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Does every tooth filling need numbing injection?

I don't know if this dentist I go to is out of date. I have 3 upper teeth fillings and I got 3 injection shots. Now I'm terrified of going back for another filling.  I thought only root canal or pulling teeth. I didn't know I need numbing shots for teeth fillings. 

What is your advice? Please help. Thanks. 

• P.L.
    Favorite Answer

I have had several small fillings done without an anaesthetic.  I hate having that needle put in and it's in my notes that I don't have the needle unless the dentist deems it absolutely necessary.  During my 77 years I've had 9 teeth removed - 3 from one corner of my mouth and 2 from the other 3 corners.  No front ones missing and no fillings needed for many years - just a clean and polish once a year for the last many years. I hope nothing changes during whatever years I have left.

Tavy - we don't ALL have numbing shots in U.K. It depends on the size of filling as to whether or not it will be painful.  Catch them when small and the job is small also.

• Tavy

We ALL have numbing shots in the UK. fillings can be painful.

If the filling is deep enough to expose the nerve (not very deep) then numbing is required to avoid pain.

Any decay would need to be extremely superficial to not expose the nerve.

believe me... the pain from the injection is nothing compared to than having a filling done under no anesthesia.... 

• Matt

you can ask not to be numbed if you can handle the pain, I do this for small fillings, but I have a high pain tolerance