Tips for writing college supplemental essay?

For one of my colleges, I have to write a short essay based off the question “Which fictional character do you most relate to and why?”. I have a few ideas as to what character I want to write about but I’m struggling to come up with a good topic sentence that will grab their attention. Any tips or ideas? Thanks :)

• Squid
    Favorite Answer

It doesn't really matter.  There are tons of applications to review.  We scan through it for terrible grammar or spelling.  If there's some problem with your transcript, we look for an explanation.  The actual content of your essay doesn't matter much at all.

However, since students never believe that, what you should do is pick a character that exemplifies the values of the college you are applying to and write about how that's your hero and you want to be like them.

Don't worry about the opening.  Write your essay.  Condense your conclusion into one sentence, change an adjective or two, and that's your topic sentence.

• ?

Tip: You don't have to write the topic sentence first. Write your essay, flesh it out, and perhaps a good topic sentence will occur to you during or after the writing process. If it doesn't, at least be sure to have a well-written and proof-read essay.

Choose someone who overcame difficulties and relate it to difficulties you have overcome.