Not approved or denied for unemployment can I file taxes?

I’ve been applying for unemployment since October 2020 and still have not received an approval or denial letter regarding my case. I’ve received everything to file my taxes and made an appointment with an accountant tomorrow (online not in person or over the phone so didn’t speak to anyone) but am now unsure if I can actually file until I hear back from the state. Does anyone know what the protocol is?

You can file as you didn't receive any benefits in 2020. Should you receive benefits, they'll be paid in 2021 and you'll owe taxes on them next year.

IF you did not receive any unemployment benefits by 31 December 2020, there's nothing to declare on 2020 taxes. IF you do get benefits, & you receive them in 2021, you report on 2021 return (even if it covers a period of unemployment in 2020). It's what you receive when that determines reporting.

You can file, at this point, you cannot receive money in 2020, so not relevant.

Of course you can file your taxes!! It has nothing to do with whether or not the state has approved your unemployment. You haven't RECEIVED the unemployment, so there's nothing for you to report. 

You should file a tax return based on the income you received.  If you eventually get some unemployment benefits they will be reported as income in the year you get them.

If you haven't received any money from UI, there is nothing to include on your taxes.

If you receive money, it will be taxable on the year it is received.

Yes you can file.

If your UI claim is approved and they send you a big payment for back-pay of your weekly claims from October then that payment would be taxable when you recieve it, not in the year the payment is for. In other words the money for October-December 2020 is taxable on your 2021 return if you recieve it in 2021.

If they deny your UI claim for some reason then there's no income to report at all.

Either way, you can proceed with filing your 2020 tax return.

Note that tax prep offices will meet with you and put your info into their computer systems, but the IRS isn't accepting returns until February 12th so your return will just be held at the tax prep office until then.

• Judy

Yes.  You're filing for last year. and that's  over.  note that thIS

IRS is not accepting returns until Feb12.

Yes, you can file.  You show the income you did get in 2020, not the income you wish you'd gotten.

Yes.  Everyone alive in the world can file taxes.  There is no longer anyone alive who cannot file taxes.  There used to be one person in the 1980s who could not file taxes, and that was because he had been kidnapped by terrorists who were holding him hostage and wouldn't let him go where he needed to go to file.

It doesn't matter whether you get approved or not, because you file now is only for what was paid to you in 2020.  Even if you get unemployment now, that will go only on the taxes that you file next year.