Why is the package awaiting collection?

So I am wondering why now packages I send overseas to a PO Box await collection rather than get delivered to its place? This is the second time this has happened. I have done that a few other times and it got delivered to the location straight away. But now it’s waiting to be collected at a post office. So why?

Packages & all mail addressed to a PO box are held at the post office. There is no other address to deliver it to! If you want something delivered to a physical street address, you have to mail it to that address, of course.

• Liz

There are a couple of reasons. First the package may be too large for the P.O. Box it is shipped to, so a slip is left in the box for the person to pick up at the post office. It also could be that there are duties or other fees that must be paid so the recipient needs to go to the post office to pay these fees after getting their slip in their box. Lastly it could require a signature which again requires an in person pick up from the post office.