Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Which pizza sauce has the least amount of salt: Tomato, Pesto, or White?

I'm 19 years old! When I was giving blood they took my blood pressure and I can't remember exactly what it was but they said it was high for my age and told me to cut back on salt, cut back on fried foods and eliminate red meat. I'm trying to intake as little salt as I can!!

• kswck2
    Favorite Answer

About the best answer to your question is to make those sauces yourself. That way you can control the amount of salt that goes into a sauce. There is also Salt Free seasonings available to purchase. I believe Mrs. Dash makes one. Or you can make your own-I often do. 

• IvaB

the only way to know for sure how much salt is in pizza sauce is to make the sauce yourself.

You can easily make most sauces yourself and use less salt or sea salt or seasoned salt which have less sodium. Most commercial sauces such as ketchup and barbecue sauces are loaded with salt. ;If you want to know which have less look at the ingredients under sodium. A low sodium diet means no more that 2 grams of salt a day so any ingredient that has 500 milligrams is equals one quarter of your sodium allotment for the day but when you look at ingredients always check what a portion is whether it is a cup, a tsp or a tablespoon. Products like ham, and corned beef have more than the daily allotment for a low sodium diet. 

If you're trying to eat less salt and fat, you wouldn't be eating pizza.   Cheese is LOADED with salt and fat as are any cured meats you put on it.

I find it hard to believe a phlebotomist is going to diagnose you with high blood pressure and give you dietary advice.  Practicing medicine without a license is illegal.   If this person had an ounce of professionalism and was truly concerned about your blood pressure, he/she would have told you to go see an actual health care provider.

• CB

If you are not making your own sauce just look at the different brands of each type and compare sodium - keep in mind the serving size as that is not always consistent. 

If you want to make a decent red sauce a can of crushed tomatoes (low sodium) works as well as any of them - just sprinkle some italian seasoning on it before topping.

Also keep in mind fast food is FULL of salt and sugar sometimes in the same product to make you want more. 

I always use salt-free.  It's a little bland but much better for you.  My brother died a horrible death of high blood pressure and kidney failure, so I'm very careful because I can still hear his screams of pain.