Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

At what age does living at home start to be frowned upon my modern day western society ?

I’m 50, and I live at home.  It’s never frowned upon.

I'm not sure it does anymore. We are having hard times.

When my daughter becomes an adult, she's welcome to stay with me as long as she likes. She'll have to pay rent and bills, however, if she's not going to college. 

Due to covid, many college students are home taking their courses on-line. Because so many youny adults at college age and older, are out of work, they have gone back home into their parent's house.

Therefore, it is pretty common in todays d !ay and age for young adults to be living back at home.

Who cares what society thinks. 

There is no stigma to living with your parents as long as you don't just take it for granted. There are many good reasons for living at home, but you should always take a share of the chores and the expenses. It makes me shudder to hear of 30-year-old children living at home doing nothing while their mother cooks, cleans and launders for them.

• ?

i dont see anything wrong with it, some people do it to help their parents

If you are referring to children living with their parents, there is no one golden rule.  Some people do so due to their financial situation/cost of living, some do so for cultural reasons, some do so due to unexpected circumstances and some may do so by choice with the full blessing of the parents.  The reasons are vast and diverse, and in today's society adult children living at home is more common.

• Cogito

Doesn't everyone?

'Home' is the place where someone lives.

I live at home now and I'm in my 70s. It's my home and I intend to stay here. If you mean living in your parents' home, it depends on circumstances but unless you have a reason to move out, take your time, there's no hurry. Your parents will let you know if you are unwanted.