First full time job am I allowed to eat breakfast on the clock?

I just graduated college in December and finally got a full time job. In college I would always bring breakfast with me and eat it before class started. Is it ok to eat breakfast at my desk at my new job? I normally just bring a smoothie or drinkable yogurt or fruit. Obviously I’m not going to eat like pancakes or waffles at my desk ha! Is this allowed in most offices? 

• Jane

I have smoothie etc for brek too, I have it before travelling or on the bus before work   ( same as before class). So why would you wait until you get to your desk before you have it? So deal with brek before you get to work, after a while in the job you'll see what other people do and what's acceptable.

Good luck in your new job!

Basically, companies hire employees for the purpose of working and expect them to have already eaten breakfast before coming to work. Many companies don't object to your finishing a cup of coffee, or whatever you were drinking, once you're there. I'd wait until you start and see what your coworkers do.

• Kyle

every office and company is different.  if you have an employee handbook, look in there for keeping your work space and see if they have rules.  don't do it for a couple days or a week, but keep an eye on your co-workers if they eat at their desks at all.

in my office i would have lunch at my desk as long as you clean up and don't make a mess.  if your meal has a strong odor to it, you may want to eat in the breakroom so you don't annoy your co-workers near you.

if it's just a beverage i would think that would be ok.  no different then drinking water at your desk.

if you're ever still in doubt, ask your manager or if there's an HR rep in the office.  

• L

No.  You eat breakfast at home before you go to work.  Remember, they hired you to work .... not to eat.  While working, depending on the job, you can drink water....but nothing else.

• You should ask your boss before you do so. Office policies can vary from company to company. If it's not allowed, show up to work early (don't clock in until you're supposed to), and if they have a break room, have your smoothie in there before you go to work.

Depends on the company's policies. Most companies will allow employees to have a coffee or beverage at their desk. But you'd better eat your breakfast before you go to work! It's time to be totally professional, upgrade your standards of conduct.

It will probably be okay--but ASK FIRST. Some offices have rules about food at the desk you will be working at, and that's not because they're jerks--there may be good reason. ALWAYS ASK FIRST.  And if the answer is no, then get out of bed 1/2 an hour earlier so you can eat at home. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • John

Any time one starts a new job, its best to do nothing which may even remotely be considered inappropriate.  Keep your eyes open the first week or two, to see what others are doing.  You can then decide what kind of office dos and don'ts exist at that particular firm.

• Tavy

Not in the U.K., take nothing on your first day until you know the system.

• Rick B

That depends on your company.  Most places would allow that.