Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Atheists, what, if anything, do you believe happens after death?

Favorite Answer

What happens after death? The same thing that fills your head, nothing.

Eternal Oblivion

Done, fini, over, ex-being.  Just a pile of rotting meat or for me a pile of ashes to be used as fertilizer. Why are believers so scared of that?

We either get cremated or become worm food.

No idea, but I like the works of Raymond Moody and Elizabeth Kubler Ross on near death experiences. 

somebody will have a big funeral bill to pay

The hearts stops pumping, brain dies, all functions of the body stops, and what is left of you is just a dead body.  Then that dead body is either embalmed and buried whole or cremated and then buried. The dead know nothing, can do nothing, and surely can not rise from death.

Nothing.  There is no proof or evidence to even suggest that something happens after death.

Burial or cremation, usually.

• Craig

I don't see any reason to believe ANYthing about death - or about anything else, for that matter.

I DO see a reason to model and make predictions about the future, but that doesn't require BELIEF.  It just requires calculation, comparison, and estimation.

My model and prediction regarding death is that it is the end of consciousness and the termination of self, based on the fact that I've seen no one reanimate and have heard no credible accounts of communication from a self that has died.

• Shadow

Nothing. When we pass away, we become history. Then people read about us in books and possibly dig up our bones for future generations of people to study as a way of learning their history.