Did you know Walmart tracks your in store purchases?

I have a Walmart account that I use to order things that aren't available in the stores.  Yesterday I discovered something very peculiar.  My daughter is having her first child and I ordered a few things off her baby registry.  When I went to my account to check the status of the orders I noticed that the groceries and things I purchased inside the store were listed on my Walmart account.  I'm not talking about groceries I purchased online then went to pick up.  I'm talking about me walking inside the store, grabbing a buggy and walking around selecting my items then going to the self checkout and paying for them with my debit card.  My debit card is linked on my Walmart account but why would they list every grocery item on my account that I purchased inside the store like I ordered them online?  Has anyone else noticed this?  

No, I'm not paranoid about it but I do find it strange that along with those items I purchase online on their site are the items I purchased inside the store.  Baby registry items are one thing but a gallon of milk, some chips, a new frying pan, and some deodorant are different.  

Everywhere does it :)

I'm guessing you're not giving us the whole story. I don't buy anything with debit cards. Ever. Credit cards are regulated differently. Nothing I buy at Walmart online or in stores get mixed together because they have no way to merge that data, even if I happen to use the same credit card for both types of transactions.

It would be a ridiculous waste of their time to try to guess what else I'm going to want, let alone buy, based upon things I happen to pay for in the store. 

Last week I paid for the groceries for a complete stranger at Walmart and now I'm supposed to worry about their list of items showing up in my Walmart account?  I don't believe you.

• RICK

If you have a Walmart or Sams Club card any purchase you make at either store will be itemized, its nothing new, they've been doing it for years,

If you use it anywhere else things are not listed

If it bothers you, pay cash

All retailers track customers who shop in their stores for marketing purposes. They know exactly what you wear, what you eat, what type of condoms you use, etc. Even when you pay cash, if you use a courtesy card, they've got a record of everything. And, it's all being recorded on video as you shop. Welcome to the future.

ALL stores are doing this now. Especially the big chain stores. They do it for two reasons:  to be able to offer you specials or sales on the products you buy most, and also for inventory control of what does and does not sell. They ALSO want to market products to you that are similar or related. 

That's what those "loyalty" cards are for, dear.  They always have been. You pay with a debit card or credit card or store card and you will be tracked. We all are. 

maybe you should talk to walmart about it

It's 2021!  Seriously, you are surprised that Walmart tracks all purchases made with the same card are you???

I rarely purchase anything from Walmart so I have not noticed it. 

However, if I saw it with another company, I wouldn't be surprised. 

• Audrey

Yes. I pay with my debit card too. All the things i bought are listed on the website under reorder your favorite items. I never ordered them. I just bought them in the store.  Big brother is watching.

You are lying, Patrick.  In order to see if you can start a 'Thing'.  Sad.  Sad. Sad.

I don't pay with a debit card, I pay with gift cards. But I think you are overly paranoid too. My in person in store purchases are never listed at my online account. My gift cards are only because I add them.

You could always pay cash if you are that concerned.