Manual car door lock clogged with powder, any remedies?

I have a Ford Ka with the old fashioned manual door locks and the boot lock is full of graphite powder and a cotton bud tip. The key just about goes in but doesn't appear to unlock it and I could do with removing the powder that has built up (my own fault for putting too much in). Has anybody ever experienced this?

Calum

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Compressed air.  Obviously if you brake cleaner (you are not working on the brakes here) expect major paint damage.

• 1 month ago

Shoot brake cleaner into the lock and afterward tap the key in tenderly with a sledge and check whether it opens.

• 1 month ago

Try using one of those air dusters that are for computers--they have a long tube that gets into small places. Blow as much of the graphite out as you can and try the key again before removing or dissembling the locks. If you need to pull that cotton bud tip, try using a pair of slender tweezers to grab it. I would not take the locks apart or remove the entire lock assembly before trying this cheap and easy way first. 

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Don’t use wd40 or 3 in 1 oil they will collect dust and gum up and stick. Especially don’t use alcohol as it will strip any lubrication and the lock will stick especially in the cold weather.

Best bet is graphite OIL. ( easily available online , Toolstation U.K. about £4).It comes in a spray like WD40 , spray in with the straw and hope you haven’t compacted the powder too much.

Once the key works, use the graphite oil instead of powder in future.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Get an aerosol can of WD40. I would get the medium size one and stick the yellow tip into the nozzle and then into the keyhole and blast the schit out of there.  The lock is not old fashion as they still use them on 2022 cars.

Whatever a cotton bud tip is, REMOVE IT.

Just in the boot. Then not so bad as that smell should not get into the car that much. 

Also for the doors just give it a quick small squirt. A little does a good job...and it does not stink up the cab of the car.

I never use graphite.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

how did it get filled with powder , you only use a small puff of it .you didnt read the instructions did you ..no use telling you how to repair it , you dont listen . try a mechanic to fix it .

• 1 month ago

Shoot brake cleaner into the lock and then tap the key in gently with a hammer and see if it opens.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, not stupid enough to jam a q-tip in one.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Get a can of WD40 and blast it out with the straw attachment.

• Matt
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

you can probably blow out the graphite powder with canned air, like the kind you use to clean computer equipment and electronics, is a cotton bud tip like a Qtip? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.