Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Can a cop make you to take off clothes?

My brother was pulled over, apparently they were looking for someone who has a tattoo on his back. His description matched my brother, so they say, except my brother doesn't have a tattoo on his back. The cop asked him to take his shirt off to check, which was a weird request. My brother refused and just pulled the neck on the back side of the shirt to let the cop look to see there's no tattoo, and then he was let go. 

I just kept wondering how much this could possibly escalate. If the cop wanted, could he have forced him to get out of the car and take off his shirt to see right then and there? Or is this something that was supposed to be down in their station? I know you don't have to talk or answer any of their questions, but what about their orders?

• L

Your brother should have just taken his shirt off.  Why escalate when there is no reason to......................  Obey the laws/rules and stay out of trouble.

Your brother could have refused the request and then been taken into custody until his identity could be verified.  Why he would refuse the request is beyond my understanding, but, okay, he could have.  A co-worker of mine was stopped and refused to answer any questions.  Instead, she was taken into custody.  It ended up with no charges, but next time she'll answer the questions.

If your brother doesn't have a tattoo, then he shouldn't have a problem with removing his shirt.

seems like a reasonable search to me ... your brother could do it then and there or down at the station after taking an involuntary ride in the patrol car and handcuffs

• Bruce

The other option was for the officer to take him to the county jail, and have him booked until he could be properly identified. Booking includes removing your street clothes. The process could have taken several hours.

Sounds like sexual abuse to me.  I think he has a law suit here against the cop. 

Any strip searches are supposed to be conducted in private by an officer of the same sex. And they need probable cause for a search. Never trust cops. They will lie to you, trick you, and try to get you to incriminate yourself. 

It is either comply or go to the station. In some cases the officer will decide to take the suspect to the station when privacy might be needed and or witnesses to make sure that nothing unseemly happens. Asking your brother to take off his shirt is a lot different from asking a female suspect to take off her blouse beside the road.

probably if they need to identify someone

No. It would only save him a trip to the police station.