Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Am I carrying my cat wrong?

I carry her with both hands from under her arms but it always feels like I’m suffocating her. I only carry her when I have to. I carried her from downstairs to upstairs today and I tried to run as quick as possible to put her down and I feel really bad 

That's not the WORST way to do it, but it's not good.  A cat's limbs don't naturally want to splay sideways like ours so by being under her 'arms', I take it that you're effectively in her armpits, and that's not going to be comfortable for her.

The main rule is that you want to support the top and bottom half, and you want your point of contact to be, for lack of a better term, a load-bearing member of the cat.  The WORST is picking them up around the stomach.  That's a fast train to bitey town.

If one handed, scoop the cat under the rib cage, an only do that for very short periods.  If you want to carry them further, lift by the rib cage, but immediately put your other hand under the hind legs so she can have her rear quarters supported.  You don't want is so firm that she can kick out though.  But don't let her rear dangle.  That's not comfy.

I strongly recommend not running or hustling while carrying.  That just makes them associate being carried with alarm and panic.  Pick them up when you aren't taking them anywhere, pet them briefly and then put them back down.  Get them acclimated to being lifted and show them that there's nothing to worry about.  Gradually increase the length of time you hold and pet them when picking them up.  

This is how you should carry her.