Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why can't all websites be country specific?

I am from the USA and I notice I am talking to people from different countries on here.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Websites can be country-specific if the owners choose them to be. Using a DNS service like Cloudflare, access can be limited. That too can be bypassed by using VPNs that mask the actual IP of a visitor and helps users browse a website from a location where it's not blocked. 

• D1218
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Maybe because people really don't care.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

depends where there registered , a south african site can be registered in america you know .

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Y!A used to be country specific way back over ten years ago, now it's just by language. However,anybody can see the English language site as others have written.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ronald
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is too late to implement this thing now. The extensions like .com .org and .net etc are considered universal and anyone can buy them. So, it is quite hard now to implement country specific categorization. 

• 2 months ago

It's a relatively simple explanations – because content providers use geo-restrictions to block access to “unauthorized” users. If you're not familiar with them, they are restrictions based on your geographical location – information which websites can find when they analyze your real IP address.

• 2 months ago

youre in the wrong forum mate, yahoo is global company

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hahaha! The internet is a global network  It's not just for 'merikans. The US only accounts for roughly 3.5% of the entire worldwide netizen population. 

Websites, by default, can be accessed by anyone, anywhere unless the webmaster decides not to. Sure there are sites that can only be accessed in the US. It can be done but most chose not to, what with today's demand for instant individual global recognition. There was a time when only the queen of England can sneeze and the whole world catches a cold. Now anybody can do that and everyone around the world can give you a thumbs up.

If you want to interact only with US citizens, go to a forum that strictly screens its members for being so.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yahoo Answer is a World Wide System.  Why do you want to impose Censorship?

I am from Australia.

• 2 months ago

oh no. maybe you'll be exposed to other points of view and cultures, the horror.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.