Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 2 months ago

What would the criteria be for applying for a K-1 Fiancée's visa for the U.S., please?

I'm planning on moving from the U.K. to America, to start a new life with my wife-to-be, who, for the record's an American citizen. What criteria would I have to meet at this end, in order to hopefully, be accepted for a K-1 visa, and what help could my future wife and her family give me from their end, as they're offering to help me as much as possible?

My soon-to-be wife lives in California, if that helps. 

Favorite Answer

If you are a UK citizen, your future wife meets the income requirements, you can show proof of knowing each other in real life not just online and you don't have a criminal record = it's unlikely that you would be denied

• ?

There are many websites offering information and tips on applying for the K-1 visa- they are mostly about bringing in Russian brides, but they're still helpful. We went through this process- it would help if your gf consults an immigration lawyer, but it isn't essential. She fills out the application, and someone has to sign an affadavit promising to keep you off public funding for 10 years. If her income isn't sufficient, her parents can sign it, or someone else. You will appear at the US consulate- it helps if the two of you can appear together, but that might not be possible right now. You show proof of a real relationship- pictures of the two of you together, preferably. If you haven't actually met in person, forget it. You'll need to wait until after the pandemic, when you can travel to see each other. After she files the papers, there's a website where you check the status, and when you get to a certain point, you can schedule the appointment at the consulate online. The only criterion you have to meet is a clean police record. There's a couple on the US tv show "90 Day Fiancee" where he's British and can't get the visa because he got in some bar fights when he was younger.