Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Billy asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Was this a safe manoeuvre to let an emergency vehicle pass?

An ambulance was behind fashing it's lights. I looked left and there was a cycle lane and path with pedestrians. I looked right at the on coming lane and it was completely clear. I moved over into the other lane for a few seconds to let it pass. This is a 30mph road. Was this a safe thing to do? If it's not then I won't do it again.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You should have slowed quickly move to the far left of YOUR lane and let the emergency vehicle over take you in the oncoming lane. EPIC FAIL! 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It was written in your driver's training manual. You would have FAILED THE TEST.  That is how wrong you were.   It is a 30MPH for regular vehicles but FASTER for Emergency vehicles.  The left lane is the slow lane "OR YOU."  You pull over into the pedestrians and STOP YOUR VEHICLE LIKE A PARKED CAR.

The Right lane (or passing lane) is for the Emergency vehicles with flashing lights. The road is THEIRS. 

In Britain, they drive on the other side of the road so they still pull into the pedestrian lane and stop.

Who knows.  The emergency could be YOUR house is burning to the ground, or YOUR Nana is dying on the front lawn. Or a bank robber was stealing YOUR money out of YOUR bank and there is many other reasons there is an Emergency......YOU are holding them up from responding quickly.

To have them drive on the Left is not what they do.in N.A.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Don't make the ambulance driver think, the job is unpredictable enough as it is. He's expecting to go around you even if you have to take up some of the lane. You should stay on your own side of the road and stop to let the ambulance pass when it is safe for you to do so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.