Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

is it cruel to lock your kitten outside for misbehaving? ?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That won't solve a thing. You need to train your kitten, praise for doing good or the right thing. Repetition is the key. Outdoors your kitten will get hurt, stolen, mauled by another cat or dog, run over by a car, virus infection and more. The little kitten will not understand why you put it outside at all. Yes it is cruel and shows just how little you know about training and raising a pet.

Source(s): Bred and Showed Balinese Cats and Kittens for years.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, rather as if you locked a young child outside.  Kittens are very dependent.

You need to learn how to teach your kitten.  They can learn.

First tip: if the kitten does something you don't like, hiss.  If it hurts you, yelp and walk away.  The kitten won't like that. That's what his mom or litter mate would do.

Look up "My Cat From Hell" on YouTube, and other cat education videos, and you will learn a lot .  You will have a lot more fun too.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Is it cruel for me to punch you hard in the nose for asking this question?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes it is. That is abuse. They could get eaten by wild animals. Also when they are kittens they don't know much. It's normal for them to misbehave sometimes. Just like puppies. You are going to make the kitten scared instead. Take them to a training class. That is the best way to get them to behave. I wouldn't even let your cat outside at all. It's very dangerous. You should get an outdoor walk-in enclosure with lots of space for your cat instead. It makes it so they can enjoy the outdoors without it being dangerous. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. Its also shamefully irresponsible. Not only are kittens the perfect prey size but if it can get off your property then you've now put that kitten at risk of being hit by a car, getting lost, being stolen, picked up by animal control, ingesting poison, killed by a stray dog, attacked/killed by a territorial outdoor cat, or attacked/killed because it wandered i to the wrong backyard with a dog who doesn't like cats.

• 2 months ago

If the kitten is scared of outside, then yes, it's cruel. It would be better to quickly place the kitten in the bathroom with a loud "NO" and set a timer for a few minutes. I do this when my kitten bites my elderly cats, and I need the timer because otherwise I forget. There's no value in a kitty time out for longer than a few minutes; after that it just becomes isolation, which would probably be confusing at best.

• 2 months ago

My husband used to to this with our son. He turned out ok, but i don't think kittens make money using their bodies so it's probably not ok for it. 

• Linda
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Hun you never lock any animal outside for punishment. 

• 2 months ago

I mean, if it's an indoor/outdoor cat, I don't see the cruelty.

But I will say that I doubt it's effective.  For a punishment to be effective, the consequences have to be IMMEDIATE.  Cat gets on table, you squirt cat, cat associates being squirted with being on the table.

If your cat is on the table and you go and pick her up and carry her to the door and then outside, there's enough delay there that even if your cat considered being outside a punishment, there's a better than fair chance that she won't associate it with the behavior you're trying to correct.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Since when do kittens reason ?  they don't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.