Deadpool asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Can a crown be replaced after 10 years?

My dentist wants to extract my crown that I had for 10 years however I found another dentist who says he can remove the crown, clean the tooth and place a new crown but I don't know who to trust.

Why does the dentist want to extract the tooth? You need to understand what, exactly, the problem is. That way, you will understand what the solution is (and why the tooth may have to be extracted).

For example, if a tooth with a crown has a cavity under the crown, the crown may have to be removed. And since you can't see through the crown, there's *always* a chance that after the cavity is removed, there's not enough tooth to put a new crown on. Sometimes you can then do a root canal (remove the nerve of the tooth and fill up the space where the nerve was), rebuild the tooth, and then put a crown on. But sometimes there's not enough bone around the tooth to make it stable enough for all that work.

Whatever you decide, make sure you understand what the solution is, and what the prognosis of the tooth is. Even if you CAN do all that work, what's the likelihood that the tooth will last? There are no guarantees, but is there a reasonable expectation that the tooth will be around in 5 years? 10 years? Or is the tooth barely hanging?

Source(s): I'm a dentist

I would definitely give it strong thought. I went thru this just this week and it was a horrible experience. I got my crown in 2008, it fell out 3 times total. This last time was 12/14, I had to wait to get it recemented due to the office being on holiday. I went this past Wednesday for them remove the post, input a new post and fit me for a new crown. Well needless to say, the post couldn't be removed and after drilling around it, the hole is now too big to securely place a new post and guarantee the root would hold the crown, if it did-no guarantee on how long. So I ended up getting the tooth extracted. 

The first.

The chance that the crown will fit back on and create good margins, probably won't happen. 

i think it can or your dentist wouldnt have suggested it

If money is the problem go with the second one.

I'm sure that's possible