Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

Is it still "hacking" if my ex hasn't changed his password? ?

My ex gave me his password and said I can log in any time. A year later, i logged in. Is that illegal? 

Why would you want to log into your x's account in the first place???  You COULD be charged with trespassing if anything went wrong & it was discovered you had signed into his account. The law would say "this is your ex's account,  you knew it was his account, & you don't have any business signing into that account, password or not." However,  your ex is stupid for not changing his password.

Depending on which type of account he has, i.e. Outlook, Yahoo, etc..if something were to go sideways & the email company were to discover he hadn't changed his password, he'd be in breach of their Terms Of Service., & they wouldn't accept any responsibility whatsoever. He left his account insecure; it's that simple.

Would you leave your keys in the car with the engine running & the doors unlocked. Same t hing!

Well, I don't think it would be. It depends on what you do on his account, though. Like, if you leaked his address or posted something completely private, that would be considered illegal. Yes, you probably shouldn't have logged in because it's a little creepy. But in no way is it illegal if you're just going through something. Just don't do anything to ruin his life, because that would be considered bad. 

How can it be illegal if he gave you the password? Now if he says you best not go near my stuff. and doesn't change his password then he is stupid. Your best off staying away from his stuff anyways as he is your X, obviously something is going on your head for you to go see if you can still login under his credentials.

Yes, changing your password will prevent hackers from accessing your account. Updating your account password at the first sign of an attack limits damage. Changing your password regularly also improves security. Stolen credentials in data breaches are often old.

That's like asking "Someone gave me the key to their house and said I could come in any time. It;s been a year, and he hasn't changed the locks. Would it be breaking and entering if I used the key". Answer: no. It wouldn't be because you were given a key. But it would still be out of line and creepy.

• i + i

Creepy, but no, not given what you ex 

stated. Hope you have proof though 

(saved text or message or whatever).

• Ivan

No, it's not. It isn't hacking if you got permission, and password. If he wanted to, he could change his password to lock you out.

Not illegal but dishonest.

• ?

Probably not illegal (hacking) if you were together then and not now,  but could be considered stalking and certainly not a very honorable or moral thing to do.