Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Am I likely to become obese? Please help ?

I am a 19 year old female. I weigh 173lbs and I’m 5’4, my waist is 37 inches. I don’t think I’m really obese yet but at my current age and weight if I carry on the way I am and not eating very healthily am I likely to become obese? And is my current weight okay?

• ?

Well I would suggest you to start eating healthy and do some sort of exercise. Since you have just gained so much so you are likely to loose them fast. 

No, your current weight is not okay and since you are already overweight, I'd suggest dieting & exercise NOW.

In my opinion, it's better to change your food habits now. Try to find some comfortable balance for you (healthier food + some exercising). Don't wait till it's too late, try to prevent serious issues now.

• .

Per the source calculator the max recommended weight for a female of 5'4", with a large frame, is 129 lbs. That would make 173 lbs to be 44 lbs overweight, so not quite obese (obese is 50 or more).

.

However, the max recommended for a 5'4" female with a medium frame is 121 lbs, which would make 173 lbs to be 52 lbs overweight, so a female with a medium or small frame would be considered obese at 173 lbs (unless there was a lot of excess muscle along with excess fat).

Yes, you're likely to have problems down the road. You're young enough to take steps now to prevent that.  Change your eating habits and start exercising, even if it's just walking.  Get a fitness watch and try for 10K steps daily.

become ???  you are already in the morbidly obese range .

Yes, you already are, sorry.  Your current BMI is 30 which puts you just into the obese category. Your current weight is about 50 pounds above what would be a healthy weight for a young woman.  A healthy weight range would be between 110 and 135 pounds.

Carrying around 50 extra pounds of fat increases you risk of arthritis, cancer, diabetes, fatty liver, heart disease, and stroke.

Please consider making some changes to your diet.  By decreasing you consumption of fast food, junk food, sweets, and low-nutrient carbohydrates and cutting your portion sizes, you can start to lose weight. You don't need to go on any specific diet and certainly not a cash diet that leads to bingeing. 

A few changes can enable you to lose about a pound a week. In a year, you can drop 50 pounds.  That's a safe and reasonable goal.  

Now is also a great time for you to do two things:

1. Think about your emotional attachment to food.  Are you a binge eater? Do you tend to reach for treats when you are sad, mad, stressed, or tired?  Do you come form a culture where food plays an important role in family and community life?  Learning how to enjoy food without using it for emotional support will be important to your ability to maintain a healthy weight.

2. Understand the nutritional value of the foods you eat.  A lot of today's foods are designed to cause cravings and are not designed for optimal nutrition. When we eat low glycemic index foods that are also high in essential nutrients compared to their calories, we are healthier and can decrease our craving for junk food.  

• d

You are currently about 30lb overweight since the healthy weight range for a 5'4" woman is 108-144lb. Also a healthy waist circumference would be less than half your height in inches, i.e. <32 inches. Hope this helps.

• mokrie

You already qualify as obese. If you don't lose it now it will get harder and harder to lose as you get older and you will eventually start gaining even more. 

• Petter

Your current weight is just fine. Don't buy into the myth that you should be 50 Ibs lighter. Wheater you are likely to be obese or not is really only up to you.