Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

have beagle mix dog.  very hard to take on walk as she pulls so much as if she wants to run?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes. Your beagle mix dog is very hard to take on walks as she pulls so much as if she wants to run. I agree 100%.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

beagles are famous for being tempremental , its there breeding , they like hunting in packs , as a pet well not the best , they hate being told what to do , such as walking and obiedence training .but in a hunting enviorment they excel .there best if you own a farm .

• 2 months ago

It can indeed be difficult to walk a dog if they're pulling on the lead, but don't panic, it can be stopped.

Understand firstly why the dog pulls on their lead. It happens because as the dog pulls, they - along with the handler - move forwards, which is what the dog wants, and this rewards and thus reinforces the behavior, hence why they continue to do it.

I would recommend using a harness instead of just walking the dog on a lead. This gives you more control over the dog's body, meaning they have less ability to pull. Using a head collar can also work, because if they do pull, it causes the head to move to the side and puts pressure on their face, stopping the pulling.

There are 3 ways you can solve the problem, but be aware there may be one that works better than the others:-

- verbal commands i.e. telling the dog to stop pulling, or saying, 'no'

- when the dog begins to pull, stop walking, turn around and walk in the opposite direction, as this is less pleasurable for the dog.

- you can also try the 'make like a tree' technique. In other words, the minute the dog begins to pull, you immediately stand completely still and don't budge at all. Once the dog is walking nicely, you then keep going. This way, the dog will learn that pulling will get them nowhere, and that walking nicely is the way to continue their walk.

If nothing works, then call a dog trainer, or take the dog to an obedience school for assistance.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months ago

You are using the wrong equipment to walk her.  You have not trained her to do anything different.  You can google 'stop dog from pulling' & work on training her.  Teach her Basic Obedience while you are out on your walks.  All dog should know the basic commands.  There are only 7 commands a dog should know. & as the training advances you can add commands, tricks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DK52
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well your going to get several different methods of training, here's one more lol. If in your shoes I would start leash training inside the home. Showing her where her position is which is by your side. Every time she starts to pull or lags behind the walk is OVER! Misbehaving equals NO WALK for YOU! I walk and stop, sometimes when I stand in one place for a good minute I will gently push my dogs butt down to indicate "sit" until sit and be calm is habit  when not walking.

Any unwanted behavior equals "NO WALK for YOU!" Desirable behavior equals "GOOD DOG! LET'S GO on that WALK!" Of course when you finally open that door to go outside she is likely to lose her mind and will CHARGE! Nope! Back inside "No WALK for YOU!" Until she can walk outside politely and calmly, no deal! Eventually she will connect the discipline to the bad behavior. It takes time and your due delinquents however, if you use your dogs desires against her, training her on other things will be much easier for she will connect bad behaviors means no fun time.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You bought the wrong breed. Beagles should be left to run around in a huge fenced yard. 

Beagles go where their nose takes them. Before going out, dab a little amount of Vick's vaporub on top of its nose. The scent should mask whatever is out there for some time and give you some semblance of control over it. Take note however that the Vick's will also make the dog's nose clearer when it wears off so hold on tight. Hahaha!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Use a shock collar.

• 2 months ago

maybe you should run with her

• 2 months ago

Look on YouTube for methods to stop your dog from pulling.  It's pretty easy if you know how.  

• Wilson
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Interesting. 

Thanks for the update.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.