Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

Need help grounding my PC?

I live in PH and houses here usually don't have a grounding system, our outlets only accepts 2 prongs, although that does not affect me for a while, at the moment im facing the consequences or at least im assuming that because my PC does not have a proper grounding that im experiencing:

PC Case shocking me

Metal Part of Keyboard shocking me

IO Shield Shocking me

Left Earphone causing static sounds

These only occur if i touch the said parts and i am touching either the wall or the floor with my bare feet / hands. And no we don't have carpeting.

My proposed solution was that i use an extension cord that has a third prong and that i run a wire connecting the third prong to the soil outside, Assuming i do not have access to those metal water pipes or any metal rod.

Questions:

Would this be an effective solution?

If yes, how deep should the wire be?

If plausible, can I instead wrap the wire on a nail pinned on a wall instead?

If this is not an effective solution please let me know the details as i am an aspiring electrician myself.

Things to keep in mind:

I do not have carpeting in my room so it is not static.

What supports this as a grounding issue is that we dont even have any grounding for my PSU to use, also this only occurs when i touch the wall / floor

My PSU is not cheap / Corsair

Just recently i tried tapping the grounding prong on a piece of metal sticking on my wall and now i no longer experience the shocks / static from earphone. My updated question now is that is this perfectly safe ?

Try pulling the power plug and turning it over and replug it. if you can't do that switch the wired in the socketd and try it. If that doesn't work switch them back and go ahead and connect the ground plug to a ground stake.

A ground stake is a 6ft rod driven into the earth but the PH is wet so 3 feet should be good. Make a secure electrical connection with a screw into the rod.

• ?

Sounds like they wired it reversed.

Get a cheap plug tester. $4

Need help grounding my PC?

It's quite a lot of work to do a proper grounding for a house.  I will offer you a quick remedy for your shock situation here instead.  When you are experiencing a shock by touching any metal parts of your computer, that means that your two prong plug is plugged in backwards and you are charging the chassis with the hot leg rather than the neutral leg.  A quick fix is to pull out the plug and insert it the opposite way.  This should at least prevent you from getting shocked through the metal parts of the computer.

Other than this, I would defer to an electrician in the Philippines for proper advice.  While electricity is basically the same universally, it does differ drastically by installation methods in different country's.

.