Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

San
Lv 6
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Are they correct?

A. On the floor was the broken glass, which she had bought as a souvenir.

B. The broken glass was on the floor, which she had bought as a souvenir.

Is sentence A the only correct one? Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I would rewrite "A" and "B". The sentences don't sound natural. I think the glass broke after she bought it. She dropped it on the floor, and it broke into pieces. You can write "She dropped the glass she bought as a souvenir on the floor, and it broke into pieces." This sentence is better.               

• 2 months ago

Neither is good. B is slightly better,but, you have two different ideas in the one sentence, and they do not go together well.

"She had bought the glass as a souvenir, but dropped it on the floor." would be better.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I find the phrase A better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Both are correct as it depends on what you want to communicate to the reader.

A.  suggests she bought broken glass as a souvenir

B.  suggests she bought the floor as a souvenir. 

However:  if your intent is that the glass souvenir was intact when she bought it then it would be better to say.  "The glass souvenir which she bought broke into pieces when she dropped it onto the floor".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

sandy is correct but both of them sound a bit strange - i would say 'the glass which she had bought as a souvenir was broken on the floor'

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A is correct. 

B sounds like she bought the floor as a souvenir. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.