Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do people mispronounce simple words and names?

I worked in a real estate office and I can't count the number of times that people said the word, "realator" instead of being correct by saying, "realtor". There is only one "a" in the title. It's not, "real-a-tor"; it's "real-tor". By the way, realtors also make this mistake.

Then I was watching the news about Tiger Woods. They compared him to "Jack Nicklaus" If you can read, you know his last name is, pronounced "Nick-Loss", not "Nick-a-loss".

Where do people find extra letters and why do people do this?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

They're just lazy or learned this terrible bad habit from their parents.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

i woulda do it just to annoys you . 

• 2 months ago

english for many is like chicken recipes,, everyones got their own heard from all education levels, mostly middle school mistakes,in radio the internet social sties .librarians,and political commentators.,close proximity close physical proximity,,,expediate ( expedite is correct),,excape,(escape is correct),excetera,(etcetera is correct) axe, ( ask is correct) , preboard,prequalify,preregister take any verb, attach pre, it is unecessary,future plans past history true facts true history,factual history, history is a stand alone word,,normalcy ( because the public insists on using this,merriam webster said : I give,,it gives word status' return to normalcy,return of some semblence of normalcy,, some semblency of normalcy,( judy hsu,abc tv, reporters, have added on to the addons,, mistakes made more so, semblency,roseann tellez, CW wgn9,the second one)heard from all ed levels,radio the net sosh sties librarians,

\recent one mental anguish,,what other kind of anguish is there?

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

just different lunguage , even english pronounce words differently than americans , some words are diaper=nappy , jello is jelly , and your jelly is our jam, words like banana and tomatoes or even uranium is spoken differently .

• 2 months ago

Why is Favre pronounced Farv? It's an incorrect Germanic pronunciation of a French name is why. Kinda like Noter Dām. 

• 2 months ago

People pick up pronounciation mistakes, through oral media.. The all time high one is mistake for "nuclear" this is done in two ways:

Nu-clear, nu-ka-ler. Instead of nu-klee-er.

Li-berry, for li-brerry, is common in the south.

It sometimes this is the result of regional accents. So it's not really bad english.

Source(s): Native American English speaker.
  • 2 months ago

Seriously?  Why do you CARE?   It's the smallest of small deals in the small world. 

Let people pronounce things the way they want to and stop worrying about this. There are much larger issues in the world that might benefit from your worrying--but THIS isn't one of them. It's not NUKE-U-Lar. :D

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Americans do that all the Time because they don't speak English

Like Route a direction of Travel

a Rout is a complete defeat of an army

and a Router shapes wood

and Harrasment  where the hell do they find HARRIS

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Their ear catches it wrong the first time they hear it, they learn it wrong from someone else, or they're not careful about what comes out of their mouth.

I don't like hearing "temp-a-chur" either.  : D

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In cases like these, people (often not very highly educated, but the well educated can do it too) are just trying to make an unfamiliar word fit with a more familiar word.

They're familiar with "reality" and "realisation" so it's natural for them to insert a vowel after "real".With "Nicklaus" they recognise a similarity to the very common name "Nicholas", so they try to make it fit with that.

This is how the human brain works. When we come across something unfamiliar, we try to make it fit a familiar pattern.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.