Johny_John asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Which is the effective medication for mouth ulcers?

I have been suffering from a mouth ulcer for the last 2 days. But the complexity of sores is rapidly growing by the use of prescribed medicine. The mouth pain is unbearable. How do I get instant relief? 

• Rita

using over-the-counter benzocaine (topical anesthetic) products like Orajel or Anbesol. applying ice to canker sores. using a mouth rinse that contains a steroid to reduce pain and swelling.

• ?

If you're talking about canker sores, apply a wet aspirin to it, hold it on for a minute. The aspirin neutralized the acidity of the sore, takes the pain out, and helps it heal quicker. 

I would wash the mouth with iodine/water solution. you can drink it, too. Lugol solution; 2-4 drops in a 1/2 glass of water.

In the UK, I would buy 'Bonjela', the adult formulation with a small amount of local anaesthetic in it.  Applied directly to the ulcer, it stops the discomfort very quickly and helps the ulcer to heal. I am sure there are other brands but Bonjela is the ulcer treatment I know and use. It can sting for a second when first applied.

• Rick B

ambesol or oragel work well.