Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there some sort of hypnosis/indoctrination involved when it comes to teaching the fundamentals of the English grammar?

I would like to correct my English skills and comprehension skills due to the fact I was only taught how to read and write in my earlier school years. I was denied my English grammar indoctrination in my earlier school years because I went to a terrible school. 

I am sick and tired of looking and talking like an idiot.  I just want to be like everyone else now. 

Update:

David K, those English Grammar books you’re referring to are books that assume you already have the indoctrination. They won’t be of any help to me if I don’t have the indoctrination in the first place. I would not be able to understand any of it without the indoctrination. 

My school had screwed me over.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Buy an English grammar book and ask a librarian to direct you to "the classics."  Then READ, READ, READ!

• L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It seems today's teachers don't teach Grammar because too many students make words up and the teacher faces an endless battle daily. 

I'm so glad they were teaching Grammar when I went to school.

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

THERE IS NO SUCH "INDOCTRINATION."

Not for grammar, not for math, not for metrosexuality.

Your grammar is not the problem. Your content is the problem. You are mentally ill.

• 2 months ago

Troll!! Really??

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You don't need any "indoctrination". You need to read. I never really had grammar instruction in school- I was always in the advanced group that did actual reading and writing instead of being drilled on grammar rules. However, my grammar is excellent because I read so much. Reading is the natural way to learn how sentences could be constructed, and how to spell, too. You don't have to be able to recite grammar rules- most highly educated native speakers can't. It's like riding a bicycle- you don't have to know exactly how the neurons send the right signals to your body to keep you balanced. You learn it subconsciously. 

• 2 months ago

answer -- no there is not.  there is no substitute for memorizing the relevant details via frequent use.

• 2 months ago

Then get a book at library on basic grammar and practice. It's up to you. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.