?
? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Native English speakers: The difference between "a chair to sit on" and "sit on a chair."?

What is the difference in meaning between these two?

1. The professor likes a chair to sit on when he lectures.2. The professor likes to sit on a chair when he lectures.

Favorite Answer

1 - he likes having a chair available when he lectures: he may sit or stand.

2 - he wants to deliver his lecture sitting down.

There is no important difference in meaning, but I might take the first version as a request to go and find a chair and place it ready for the professor.

I'd love to disclose to you about this show, and individuals who made it. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are essentially the dads of present day British TV satire. I'd love to reveal to you about how before Monty Python even existed, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were doing strange, humorous and mutinous satire on BBC TV, and getting tremendous crowd appraisals, and rousing ages of individuals. I'd likewise love to reveal to you more about the historical backdrop of British satire, on the grounds that for reasons unknown it's vital to me. It's one of my number one subjects. It simply feels critical, and I need to impart it to you. Tuning in to these things is useful for your English, in any case the prize is considerably more prominent than that – you can appreciate tuning in to something that is somewhat exceptional. Yet, I additionally understand that you probably won't have a similar degree of somewhat over the top interest throughout the entire existence of parody, as I do. I could hit into about certain jokesters from the 1960s, however you may think "this is intriguing Luke, yet we should simply hear some out of their work will we?" So, I've chosen to simply avoid through all the stuff about the historical backdrop of parody and go directly two or three portrayals, inform you regarding them, assist you with getting them, and afterward in this scene I'll give you a little history exercise on Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, and their spot throughout the entire existence of mainstream society, and afterward not exclusively can you make the most of their satire, yet you'll study British social history.

They are the same. First sentence would be better with "The professor likes having a chair ..."