Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Erzsébet or Elizabeth?

Erzsébet is the Hungarian form of Elizabeth and is pronounced Air - zhuh - bet. 

Which one do you prefer?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Elizabeth so I can call her Beth 

• 1 month ago

I prefer Elizabeth. But from my Hungarian genealogy research, I've learned that Ersebet was sometimes nicknamed Erze, which is cute.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Elizabeth. Erzsebet sounds maybe good in Hungarian and for Hungarians, but not so much in English.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If you are of Hungarian ancestry the Hungarian version would be fine otherwise I would suggest the English spelling. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I like both, but my first thought is that I like Erzsebet.  

• 2 months ago

Go with Erzsébet! It’s different and pretty. I like Elizabeth but it’s really common.

• Adele
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I would prefer Elizabeth

• blank
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Elizabeth                                                                       

• 2 months ago

I much prefer Elizabeth 

• Snid
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless you actually live in Hungary I would stick to Elizabeth.  Using Erzsebet is only going to complicate a child's life especially with the accents on the letters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.