Can a solicitor represent their friend in family court?

My partner is taking his ex to court for visitation. His ex said she’s got a solicitor who happens to be her  friend, which my partner also grew up with. All went to the same school and know each other well. Is this allowed? Would this be a conflict of interest due to the solicitor knowing both parties on a personal level?

Just to update. This solicitor does know my partner but doesn’t like him and never has as he had run ins with her brother in thier late teens. 

Knowing the client IS NOT a conflict of interest. A close relationship with the OPPOSING party MAY create a conflict of interest, but merely knowing them would not.

• ?

I am not sure about the UK although I don't see how it would be a conflict of interest. But in the US it happens all the time. All my lawyers are my friends.

Of course they can.  I see no conflict of interest.

Of course they can.  

• Maxi

Of course you can use a solicitor who happens to also be a friend.....

• ?

The simple answer is yes the solicitor can if she (the ex) is OK with it.  The long answer is: the possible conflict of interest would only be relevant to his ex who's solicitor may be too "easy" on your partner because they know him.   This solicitor doesn't represent your partner's interest and therefore he has no say in it.  If the judge or the solicitor your partner hires was a friend of his ex then it would be a conflict of interest for your partner.   It's important to remember a solicitor represents only one person.  The judge is the only neutral party. 

• Tavy

Of course it's OK in the U.K. this is what friends are for.