Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can a person with a learning disability be a physician assistant?

Can a person with a learning disability become a physician assistant? I would like to be one. 

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    What is your learning disability?  That term covers everything from difficulty with fractions to not even knowing how to tie your shoes.  Being a PA is  like being a Registered Nurse and more  You need to graduate from a good college or university with a Bachelor of Science degree and then do addition training.  That means lots of chemistry, lots  of mathematics and dozens of science courses in everything from anatomy to toxicology to microbiology.  Maybe the best answer for you is this:  If you can get accepted by a University as a freshman, then you have a chance to be a PA.

  • 2 months ago

    We had a house doctor on a wheelchair and it didn’t stop him from admitting patients and going to code blue emergencies.

  • M
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

    To say a person cannot be a physician assistant (PA) because they have a learning disability would be unacceptable discrimination.

    There is a whole spectrum of learning disability. I have two nephews with diagnosed learning disabilities. One has very severe learning disabilities and could not possibly be a PA. My other nephew could most definitely be a PA.

    The important thing is whether the person with the learning disability can satisfy the programme's entry requirements, succesfully complete the programme and then undertake the duties of a PA.

  • 2 months ago

    I'm sure that very much depends on what the disability is, and whether there are ways of working around it.  Typically a P.A. program will not admit you unless you already have a bachelor's degree that includes a year of chemistry, a year of human anatomy and/or physiology, a year of microbiology, and some introduction to statistics.  Some institutions require further subjects such as general or mammalian biology, and possibly psychology.

    Anyway, so the question is, can you complete college courses in these subjects?  If yes, then you would probably find a P.A. program that would work with you to help you around whatever other limitations you're alluding to.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    Depends on the disability. We can’t answer that.

    Source(s): ER PA
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    i dont see why not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.