Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can you teach after you get a masters degree?

7 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Many teachers, especially high school teachers, have masters degree and those are in education (MAEd). The reason for this is that to teach high school you generally need an undergrad degree in your certification area (math teacher has some sort of math degree, etc) and then to become a teacher you usually take courses after your undergrad to get certified, those programs are often masters programs because it only takes about 2 more classes to get the masters then to get certified, so why not...

    In addition, most school districts give some sort of stipend to those teachers with masters degrees (or doctorate) so it can be additional income (some places it is minimal while others it can be substantial).

    There aren't many teachers that have a masters/doctorate in their subject area (i.e. PhD in Chemistry teaching chemistry) but I do know a few.

  • donnie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Yea that is a good thing to have. It depends on where you live though some places you don't even need a degree while others you need a bachelors or higher. As long as you got it in the right field you should be good

  • Adele
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Hi Stacey.

    The qualifications that you need are a good bachelor's degree (2.1 or above), possibly a master's, and a Ph.D. in the relevant field. Although you do not need a separate teaching qualification, you could be offered the opportunity to complete one while studying for your Ph.D. or in the first year of working as a lecturer.

  • 2 months ago

    Most teachers at community colleges have masters degrees. Some teachers at 4 year colleges may have master's degrees. At universities, people with master's degrees may be hired as instructors. Those are non-tenure track positions that don't pay very much. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    There are 195 countries in the world. Without knowing which one you're asking about, it would be impossible to say whether or not you'd be eligible for a teaching position. Assuming that you're asking about teaching in the United States, people with an MA might qualify to teach in a private school, but most public schools require a teaching certificate, so the candidate would need to obtain one before he or she could apply for a teaching position in a public school. Obviously institutions of higher leaning have higher standards when it comes to education and experience. 

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    i dont see why not

  • 2 months ago

    If it is an Education Master's Degree, you can teach in K-12 schools. For colleges and universities with rare exceptions, you need a PhD in the field of teaching. A Master's Degree in a non-education field will usually not allow you to teach (at least in the USA).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.