Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Do you think it's a good idea to have all your books and movies on open shelves for people to see?

Your books and movies are kind of a window into your personality.  Is it better not to have them on display for visitors to see?

• Herve
    Favorite Answer

Yes I have a library of literary fiction, science fiction, classical works and non-fiction books and a few reference and 'lighter' reads interspersed.

It's funny to think idiots on Twitter have been getting offended over the bookshelves of people who have been on Zoom calls during live TV broadcasts.

• ?

This past 18 months I have participated in many Zoom meetings and my open bookshelves are clear for anyone to see. Also photos in frames (old ones). So far the only comments I get are..."Wow you have a lot of books. These visible ones are only in one room, shelves full all through the house.

If you want to conceal your personality from your friends, go right ahead. Most of us don't invite people into our homes unless we're happy for them to see what books and movies we read and watch.

Please don't fall into the childish trap of imagining that if I have a copy of (for example) "Mein Kampf", I must be a Nazi. Many of us feel it's essential to read books by people whose views we detest so that we can understand better what motivates them.

• Aspen

It’s an expression of your identity, your interests. It’s as much, maybe even more, of a self expression than the kind of car you drive

Most people don't think it matters much. 

Do whatever you want. It's not as though any of us will ever see them. 

Yes I even have My Bible and English Prayer Book in the open for all to see I have Nothing to be ashamed off

You're a weirdo. How about you don't invite people into your home that you want to hide your personality from? As if seeing that your personality is "weirdo" isn't painfully obvious. You know what people have non-weirdo personalities? People who don't think they should hide their personality.

Yes, it's a very good idea, because then I can find my own books most easily.

What kind of psycho doesn't want their friends to know their personality ?

• ?

Sure, why not. I'm not ashamed of what I read or watch.