Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 month ago

What is the “racial quota” number that is set for the number of interracial couple commercials required on TV and who or what is behind it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Dora
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Most commercials have to have at least one black in it.. whereas other commercials can have only blacks and that's peachy keen!  Run through your channels on tv and you will find the shows are predominantly black.  Not bad for only 25% of the population.

• 1 month ago

It is good business since it is vaccination against charges of racism.  It may lessen when Black History month ends.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The advertising agencies don't work to any "racial quota" but if their research showed that adverts featuring interracial couples were less effective they would produce fewer of them. Normal people don't watch TV obsessing about the ethnicity of the actors in the advertisements. It is doubtful it is something the advertising agencies need to worry about.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I record a lot of TV. I'm going to start publishing a survey of the proportions in advert breaks. I've got recordings going back several years on hard drives, so I can look at how it has changed over time. These days it's spot the white person.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Advertisers buy slots on television channels and make commercials to be aired. They want to appeal to as wide a range of purchasers as possible, and Advertising Agencies tell them how to do that. It is not up to the TV stations to tell advertisers how to make their commercials, provided they conform to Advertising Standards, so the idea that there is some sort of quota is racist nonsense. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.