Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is a VPN really necessary to use now?

i dont use one and have never used a VPN, i live alone in a flat and use a windows desktop computer...i'm subscribed to someone on youtube who says it is essential that you must use a VPN now to protect your privacy and identity?

is that true, do i really need to invest in a VPN?

Update:

thankyou uncle pennybags and thanks to the others too.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless you don't want your internet provider to know what places you visit on the internet, you should be fine.

VPNs are most useful for the following:

1.  Keeping your activity secure while on a public wifi, like at an airport or coffee shop.

2.  For a company to protect data and communications when their employees are working remotely.

3.  If for some reason you need to have your exit point on the internet be somewhere else.  For instance, I'm in the USA.  But there are things on Netflix in the UK that are not available here in the USA.  If I use my VPN and set the exit point in the UK, I can watch those shows on Netflix in the UK that I can't get here.  Same with accessing BBC shows here in the USA.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

VPNs are great for when you're out and about, using Wi-Fi networks that aren't your own. But at home, a VPN can help protect your privacy and may let you access streaming content that would be otherwise unavailable.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No you don't need it unless your involved in illegal activity such as pirating games and movies then you do need it. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.                                                       !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.