is a VPN really necessary to use now?

i dont use one and have never used a VPN, i live alone in a flat and use a windows desktop computer...i'm subscribed to someone on youtube who says it is essential that you must use a VPN now to protect your privacy and identity?

is that true, do i really need to invest in a VPN?

thankyou uncle pennybags and thanks to the others too.

Favorite Answer

Unless you don't want your internet provider to know what places you visit on the internet, you should be fine.

VPNs are most useful for the following:

1.  Keeping your activity secure while on a public wifi, like at an airport or coffee shop.

2.  For a company to protect data and communications when their employees are working remotely.

3.  If for some reason you need to have your exit point on the internet be somewhere else.  For instance, I'm in the USA.  But there are things on Netflix in the UK that are not available here in the USA.  If I use my VPN and set the exit point in the UK, I can watch those shows on Netflix in the UK that I can't get here.  Same with accessing BBC shows here in the USA.

• ?

VPNs are great for when you're out and about, using Wi-Fi networks that aren't your own. But at home, a VPN can help protect your privacy and may let you access streaming content that would be otherwise unavailable.

No you don't need it unless your involved in illegal activity such as pirating games and movies then you do need it. 

• keerok

No.                                                       !