Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Volunteering and SSI? I want to volunteer but I have been hearing it can endanger my benefits? I am so tired of living an empty life! But I ?

cannot afford to lose benefits. Can I volunteer and my SSI be safe? I would like to volunteer with the library or animal shelter.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

If you volunteer full-time they may call for a reconsideration and find you could do entry level employment.  If you volunteer parttime or occassionally they will not call for a reconsiderator. Lots of people with disabilities volunteer or work parttime with no impact on  benefits. 

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Many people volunteer with no loss in their benefits.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

if the volunteer work is something you can do for significant pay, yes you could lose benefits.  if its just something like an environmental group that cleans the park 1x/month, that would not affect your benefit.

if its only a few hours per week, that should not be a problem no matter what it is.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Technically any demonstrated activity that shows you may not need SSI because you could work a real job might endanger it.  However the reality is as long as you don't tell them what you are up to they won't find out.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It really shouldn't since it's volunteering and not employment. FACT

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.