Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Yall gettin back in on the airlines now that the Pandemic is fading?

Airlines were always a bad investment.  The safest best investment in the entire world is still an ETF named SPY.  That's the S&P500.  Since 1978, SPY has had an average annual return with dividends and after taxes of 12.6%.  Invest the same amount in SPY every month through a ROTH IRA, you can retire  a millionaire at 50.  I defy anyone to prove I am wrong and I defy anyone to name a better investment.  All Senators and all Representatives have a retirement based on just SPY.

• ?

Still a bit early for that.

• RICK

Airlines have never been a good investment,  nothing has changed that will alter that

• kswck2

Not even Warren Buffet made money on airlines. 

8 months ago was my entry, I myself made my money and now moved on. 

• Steve

I wasnt interested in airlines before the pandemic, so I am definitely not now. I havent looked at their stats, but they are likely straddled with so much debt they will never be able to pay back that they may one day have to file for bankruptcy. They are probably far off from being able to earn a dime as well.

I've been on airplanes multiple times since March and have another trip next week.

As of Nov, there were less than 50 cases of covid attributed to a flight.

• ?

@Anonymous, it's not unrelated to investing, he isn't asking if you're going to go on holiday the question is are you bullish on airline stocks now?

@Kelvin, not for me I don't really like airlines in any economy or market type, I feel I can get better returns elsewhere over the long run, I'm even hesitant to take a trade on an airline stock nevermind buy and holding them

Is that supposed to be English?

I'm not going anywhere near an airport let alone airplane until about 200 million more people are vaccinated.

I hear there are some very awesome deals to be had, though.   My neighbor just bought a round-trip ticket from Phoenix to Seattle for $60.

ETA:  Thing, thanks and sorry!    That plane sailed right over my head...haha!    It didn't even dawn on me that he/she/they were asking about investing in airlines because hell to the NO.   I didn't like airline stocks before the pandemic and I am not fond of contrarian investing either.    No, no, no, no and no thank you.    Power to those who think otherwise, but it is not at all an industry that interests me EVER.

unrelated to investing.