Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What does 'unfortunately' mean here?

I asked my friend about if they wanted to meet up one time in the next few weeks.

They got back and said 'Yeah that sounds great! - unfortunately I am quite busy until the end of the month - would that work for you?' 

What does 'unfortunately' mean here? Is this something you would say to someone you care about/a friend?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In this context, it is an expression of regret. The reason is not caring or friendship, but it reflects the person's desire to do whatever s/he cannot and her/his sorry at being unable to do it.

• Den B7
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It sounds as if they are disappointed by their circumstances and would prefer to get together sooner, but can't.

• 2 months ago

Yes, it is something you would say to a friend, family member or anyone. It's similar to saying "Meeting you sounds great BUT I can't." 

Using "unfortunately" instead of "but" implies that they would like to spend time with you and are sad/unlucky that they are unable to do so.

• 2 months ago

'Unfortunately' is a more formal way of saying 'sorry'. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Unfortunately" indicates a negative detail:  the friends is busy.

• User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It means that the friend regrets being unable to meet sooner than that.

It doesn't indicate WHY the friend regrets it, other than suggesting that the friend wishes that it could be sooner.

• 2 months ago

“Unfortunately” means”unluckily.”  Your friend is not happy about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.